Friday, September 13, 2013

CONTINUOUS JOURNEY by Mark Hunter


This will be one of the most important letters that I will ever write…….and post (Big exhale)

 I respectfully owe Hunters Chicago a great letter. 

How do I begin this letter when I know it’s not the end of a legacy, but a continuous journey? And how do I finish it up? I feel a big responsibility. 
 For thirty one reliable years Hunters Chicago has provided us all with fun, safe and happy times, without fail, always there proud and strong. Considering she opened in 1982 in the suburbs this is quite an accomplishment. From day one, she opened her heart and gave us all so much. I am ever so thankful for her kind gifts. At the age of sixty I look back and realize she has given me a wonderful life full of memories that I will always cherish. 
  Some see her as “Cheers” with welcoming friends and conversation over a drink. Others see her as a gleaming palace from high atop a dance block. I see her as an icon.

On September 23, 2013 Hunters Chicago will be closing its doors. Although she will not be in operation, she will not be forgotten. She will remain in the hearts of those that she has touched for many years to come. So it isn’t the end, it is just a fork in the road of that journey we all call life. 

I would like to invite everyone to come share your memories and what Hunters Chicago has meant to you. We will be having a Bon Voyage party on Saturday, September 21. I look forward to seeing you there.  There is still time left to make some new memories and even some new friends. The final night will be Sunday, September 22. Please share this information so that everyone has the opportunity to be included.

I wish there were a way I could thank all the wonderful people who have passed through the doors of Hunters Chicago for their undying loyalty and support. Without you Hunters Chicago would never be the place she is. But I will simply say thank you!
Bon Voyage!
Best wishes to all, and to The New PhoenixBar.

Mark Hunter
Spirits Elevated!

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Mark,
    I first came out in November, 1990, and Hunters was one of my regular - and favorite - haunts. "She's" always been an ideal alternative to Boystown, for the parking, of course - lol - but also other amenities few, if any, other bars offer all in one place. Since those early days, I've lost count of all the good times and people I've met, danced with, drank with, snogged. lol

    More importantly, there's a (not so) short-list of people I will always cherish as dear friends. Some have been in my life, to one degree or another, for decades. Others have recently become very dear to me via karaoke, mostly. A few of these are current employees, others were formerly employed. Nevertheless, Hunters is the reason they are in my life and for that, for them, I'm grateful.

    Finally, there's a particular joy Hunters has given me - by proxy. Hunters has, unwittingly, done me one of the biggest favors anyone could ever do. Suffice to say, seeing my friends happy, makes me ecstatic. But to see happiness, as well as fulfillment, in the eyes/lives of my very best friends thrills me beyond words. For that, Hunters will always have a place in my heart.

    Thank you, Mark, and good luck on the rest of your Journey. The next time I'm in San Diego, I hope to make a sojourn/road trip to Palm Springs and get myself a Hunters re-boot.
    Peace, and much love,
    Victor R. Vendegna.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't remember exactly when I started coming to Hunters Chicago but it was 18 years ago I was living in Chicago and use to come there regularly all the time. I'm have met two boyfriends there I was with one for 6 years and currently still with the other one now going on 7 years.. who says you can't meet great people in bars is ridiculous. have gotten to know all the bar staff and the owners I love you guys so much and can't believe it's coming to an end.. I will definitely be there for the closing weekend celebration of Hunters..
    Hugs for you both
    Greg Lawrence

    ReplyDelete
  4. I met my partner at Hunters 29 years ago. I came out of the closet at Hunters and I have only good memories. I vividly remember you and Mirian as if it were yesterday. Good time, indeed.

    ReplyDelete