Monday, September 16, 2013

OUTPOURING of Nostalgia, Hunters Chicago


LAST WEEK, Mark Hunter, founder of Hunters Nightclubs , officially announced the closing of Hunters Chicago after 30 remarkably joyous years of service
to the Chicago suburban gay community. 
The OUTPOURING OF NOSTALGIA & Loving Words, commented on Facebook, from our patrons from the past 3 decades has been overwhelming; bittersweet to say the least.  

Below are some of these heartwarming comments :
Philip Jeremy  Just heard you are closing. How sad. I met my partner Jim on January 28th 2000, it'll be 14 years in 2014. Best thing to ever happen to me!!! I'll always remember Hunter's. We all have so many stories and memories. Thanks for the memories Mark Hunter and staff, you'll be missed.

Roman Liufa I will miss "Hunters Chicago". Super dance floor, cool DJs. And very nice staff! Thank you all!

Roman Liufa I will miss "Hunters Chicago". Super dance floor, cool DJs. And very nice staff! Thank you all!
Scott Zuncic Thank you Mark Hunter and Patrick Volkert for great memories!!! Hunters was the first place I came to after "coming out". I had my very first date there.....and have met my "Best of friends" that I have known for 20+ years. Hunters felt like "Home". And even though the bar will be changing it's name and owners, I sure hope it still feels like "Home". I will at least have the many great memories that will always remain with me. Best of luck to you Mark & Patrick on your "Contnuous Journey". Don't forget to come back and visit!! Take care....and thank you again for giving me a place to celebrat life!!!

Keith Sunde Mark I'm sure don't remember me as we met several times through-out the years. Thank you for Hunters you gave us a place where we were safe and had fun! The 80's it was shoulder pads and dance music & big hair. I would stay until the lights came on. I also remember when you bought the matching riviera cars & every New Years Eve Party....Hunter's Chicago is Missed & will be Missed! It was a Landmark of Elk Grove Village. Mark Hunter you are huge part of the Proud Gay Man I Grow Up to Become for that THANK YOU! I would like to meet you once again sometime in the near future I'm near Disney World these day in Clermont FL.

Scott Zuncic Best of luck to you Mark & Patrick.!!! I just want to thank you for the many many years I have gone to Hunters. It felt like "home" there because it was the very first place I went to after I came out. I had my very first date there.....so it's a very special place in my heart. So many good memories!!! I know the name and owners are changing, the bar will live on. I just hope it still feels like "home". Thank you again, especially to you, Mark, for making Hunters a great place to celebrate life!

3 comments:

  1. Hunters was the first bar I went to when I turned 21. Spent many evenings in there from 21 to 26. I met my husband there in June of 2000. We have been together for 14 years now. I want to thank Mark and Patrick for all the wonderful memories I have had at Hunters. We wish you both the best.

    Vince Ramirez-Ellinger
    Karl Ellinger-Ramirez

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fcastillo
    Esbuna lastima que este lugar cierre ya que yo alli fue donde empece a ir a dvertirme miercoles jueves sabado y domingo recuerdo cuando tenia 19aƱos que tuve k falsificar mi id tan solo por estar alli adentro quiero lloear al recordar cuantos amigo conoci alli en el 1997 y aun mantengo la mayoria en mi circilo de amistad ..gracias HUNTERS

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sad to see an institution like HUNTERS close. So many memories I can't even count...visiting Mark and Marion always there to welcome everyone...those special Wednesday nights..one of the first video bars anywhere..and most importantly so many wonderful people I met there, some still here and some not. Times change they say, and I wish the new Pheonix bar all the success, but I know I'm safe in saying there will never be another HUNTERS.

    ReplyDelete